Tyne and Wear HER(1127): Wallsend, Bigges Main Colliery C Pit - Details
Wallsend, Bigges Main Colliery C Pit
Coal Mining Site
Bigges Main Colliery, C Pit, was served by Bigges Main Wagonway (HER ref. 1128). Around 1782 three pits were sunk around the site and the village of Bigges Main developed, taking its name from that of the pit. "A" Pit was situated at NZ 288 670, "B" Pit at NZ 286 668 and "C" Pit further north at NZ 285 677 (HER ref. 1127). Due to flooding the Bigges Main pits ceased working in 1857. The "C" pit site was partly filled in with refuse and then bulldozed over into a hillock and seeded.
<< HER 1127 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89 L.G. Charlton, 1972, The Bigges Main and the Kenton and Coxlodge Wagonways