Tyne and Wear HER(11287): Willington Quay, school - Details
Willington Quay, school
Around 1849 Mr Robert Hood Haggie and Joseph Procter of Willington Ropeworks (HER 1179) opened a school under the British and Foreign School Society, for the children of their employees. The school room had a large raised preaching platform (Mr Haggie undertook bible classes and temperence mission work at Willington Mission Room) and desk at the south end and a gallery at the north end. Mr Haggie paid for the coals for heating and Mr Procter, the books and £12 towards the teacher's salary. There were up to 40 scholars. The school house later became a gatehouse office for the ropery.
Ordnance Survey first edition map 1856