Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Willington Quay, Rosehill, The Rose Public House

Tyne and Wear HER(11291): Willington Quay, Rosehill, The Rose Public House - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

Willington Quay, Rosehill, The Rose Public House

Willington Quay



Licensed Premises

Public House

Early Modern


Demolished Building

Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition of 1856. Existed in 1814 the tenant being Mr Timothy Pollock and the rent being £35. First known as the Half-way House Farm. The Rose Inn was a coaching stop on the turnpike road between Newcastle and North Shields. On 7th Jan 1828 a Woman's Friendly Society was formed which met at the Rose Inn. The same society were still meeting 100 years later. The Roman Catholics of Wallsend under Rev Father Riley began a mission and until they built their own church they used the Rose Inn between Oct 1865 and May 1866. On Feb 6th 1913 the original Rose Inn closed and the licence was transferred to a new building retaining the same name at the bottom of the hill (HER 9458). The original building was demolished c.1915.




Ordnance Survey first edition map 1856; Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p27

Back to Search Results