Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Walkergate, Shields Road, Colliery Engine Inn

Tyne and Wear HER(11327): Walkergate, Shields Road, Colliery Engine Inn - Details

Back to Search Results

Colliery Engine Inn, Walkergate


11327


Newcastle


Walkergate, Shields Road, Colliery Engine Inn


Walkergate


NZ26NE


Commercial



Inn


Early Modern


C19


Demolished Building


Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition of 1856 as The Engine Public House. White-painted stone, ashlar quoins, slate roof. Three storeys, the top floor being the attic space with windows just under the eaves. Two doors in moulded doorcases on front fa├žade and two traditional pub windows with 12 lights in similar moulded cases, painted black and red. Old brass lamp above right hand door. Demolished without record circa 2005. Number 517 adjoining is stone-fronted with sash windows, moulded doorcase and pediment and modern louvred shutters. Same three storeys, slate roof {1}. A Newcastle Breweries house from 1914. In 1977 it was described as "a gloriously basic working man's pub". It was modernised in the mid 1980s {Bennison 1997, p 42}.


2830


6567


NZ28306567



Pers comm, Jennifer Morrison, 2008; Brian Bennison, 1997, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 2, p 42

Back to Search Results