Tyne and Wear HER(1134): Coxlodge Wagonway - Details
Gosforth and Kenton Wagonway, marked "disused" on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Map, where it is named Coxlodge Wagonway. Also known as the Kenton & Coxlodge Wagonway. Its southern end was at Coxlodge Staith (HER ref. 2092). From NZ 3165 6507 a branch (HER ref. 2090) ran to the northern staith (HER ref. 2091). The earliest section opened in 1808, the latest in 1813. From Gosforth Engine it followed the line of an earlier line, dating from c.1672 to c.1766. It is notable for the early use of iron rails, with locomotives using rack & pinion traction. There is also an early inclined plane at Haddricks Mill. Its westernmost section to Scotswood may have been the world's first underground railway, called Kitty's Drift from Kenton Colliery, running 3 miles to the Tyne. In the 1890's this line was partly reused as part of the Fawdon Railway (HER ref. 1078).
<< HER 1134 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89 C. R. Warn, 1976, Wagonways & Early Railways of Northumberland, 1605-1840 Proceedings Prehistoric Society, 14,15,49 C.E. Lee, 1949, Tyneside Tramroads of Northumberland 1947-9, Transactions of the Newcomen Society, Proceedings Prehistoric Society, 203-209; W.W. Tomlinson, 1914, The North Eastern Railway - Its Rise and Development, p 22