Tyne and Wear HER(11380): Newcastle, Framlington Place Conservation Area - Details
Newcastle, Framlington Place Conservation Area
Framlington Place Conservation Area was designated in 1976. It comprises of C19 terraced housing and large detached dwellings. The principal development is the mid C19 Framlington Place (HER 8854, 8988, 9149) with their long front gardens which overlooks the culverted Pandon Burn (HER 11114). To the north is the Leazes Brewery site (HER 4009), where the mid C18 Brewery House (HER 8781) still stands surrounded by C20 extensions and the University Sports Hall. Within the Conservation Area there are 35 grade 2 listed buildings. Thomas Oliver's survey of 1830 shows Claremont Place (HER 9072, 9151), a Georgian terrace and the first recorded development with the Conservation Area. He records that "Claremont Place is considered as a pleasant country residence, at the same time, in the middle of the Town and County of Newcastle". Claremont Terrace formed part of the early C19 northern extension of the City which was separated by orchards from the industrial complexes of the Leazes Brewery and Chimney Mills shown on Thomas Oliver's survey of 1844. During the C19 this area continued to develop as a prosperous middle class suburb. Framlington Place was a phased development constructed between 1851 and 1867. It would have rivalled Thomas Oliver's Leazes Terrace in terms of scale and designed austere grandeur. It terminates with the grade 2 listed Framlington House (HER 8989). To the south of this is a small unmanaged wooded coppice and a mid C19 stone drinking fountain. The carriage road which ran between the properties and the Pandon Burn still survives as a leafy lane. The southern boundary of the Conservation is marked by the grade 2 listed Royal Victoria Infirmary red brick boundary wall with spearhead railings (HER 9241). The eastern boundary of the Conservation area is the early C19 lane (Lovers Lane) beside No. 17 Claremont Place. Claremont House (HER 8853) is listed grade 2. The five remaining terraced houses of Wardle Terrace are contemporary with Framlington Place and is built of buff brickwork with ashlar detailing and slate roof. North Terrace (HER 10808, 10809) was built pre 1859, Claremont Terrace and Claremont Street between 1859 and 1898. The grade 2 listed 1890 red brick Gothic revival parish church of St. Luke (HER 8152, 8855) provides a strong end stop to the Conservation Area.
Newcastle City Council, 2002, Framlington Place Conservation Area Character Statement