Tyne and Wear HER(11384): Gosforth, High Coxlodge/Asylum Farm - Details
Gosforth, High Coxlodge/Asylum Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
High Coxlodge appears on the first edition map (1858). In 1865 the Magistrates of Newcastle purchased the homestead, then known as Dodds Farm, and 57 acres of land for a new asylum. Within a year the stone cottage, barn and other farm buildings had been altered to accommodate 33 patients transferred from Bensham Asylum (in 1864 Durham County Magistrates refused to renew the contract of Bensham Asylum and so the Corporation Committee were forced to find a new asylum site). The second edition OS named the farmstead Asylum Farm.
Newcastle City Council, St. Nicholas Hospital Conservation Area Character Statement, pages 6-7