Tyne and Wear HER(11397): Newcastle, Leazes Conservation Area - Details
Newcastle, Leazes Conservation Area
Designated in 1974. Includes a Victorian Park (Leazes Park, HER 5008) and late Georgian terraces. Newcastle was late to develop significant residential areas outside its town walls, but from the 1790s the Leazes area was attractive to developers and affluent residents with its gardens and walks adjacent to Castle Leazes. The model of housing was the Georgian terrace initially in a rather plain and provincial style. There is a sharp contrast between these formal terraces in Georgian rectangular plots and the burgage plot layout on Percy Street. The eminent developments in brick were Albion Street and Albion Place (now Leazes Park Road, HER 8930, 8791, 8792) then St. James Street (HER 8733, 8734), all built before 1829-1835. The Leazes Terrace (HER 9130) development by Grainger and Oliver of 1835 marked a change to a grand large stone-faced palace-fronted block. The small-scale stucco housing of Leazes Crescent was built during the same period. Leazes Terrace echos C18 developments in Bath and London but is larger in scale. The final development was the St. Thomas estate (HER 8958, 9122, 8741, 9225, 8742, 8957, 8955, 8743, 9226, 9224, 8956) which, like the earlier St. James Street, was simple Georgian style with brick facades and rubble stone rears. Leazes Square is a 1980s development. Off Strawberry Place is a pink rendered three storey Georgian house (HER 11400) used as offices by Barker and Stonehouse. Close-by is their modern curved glazed pavilion. An Edwardian warehouse on St. James Street (HER 11401) is now used for student accomodation and although unlisted, is of notable architectural quailty. The monolithic Benefit Agency Office Block on St. James Street is a mediocre example of contemporary development. Nos. 78-95 (HER 9933) and Nos. 19-21 Percy Street (HER 9932) are late Georgian town houses, altered at ground level for commercial use. Eldon Gardens is a five-storey fortress-like monolith, which successfully conceals a multi-storey car park, and has a glazed link across Percy Street.
Newcastle City Council, 2000, Leazes Conservation Area Character Statement