Tyne and Wear HER(11412): Longbenton, Front Street, Old School House (Rutter's School) - Details
Longbenton, Front Street, Old School House (Rutter's School)
The Old School House (Rutter's School) and Stackyard Lonnen stood on the site now occupied by Pearson's Garage, opposite the Ship Inn in 1791. Shown on an old engraving.
W.G. Elliott and Edwin Smith, Bygone Days of Longbenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor and Killingworth, p 38; engraving shown on http://ih1.redbubble.net; www.douglaskay.co.uk/stbarts/history.html; Samuel Smiles, 1862, Lives of the Engineers with an account of their principal works, Vol 3, page 60 (includes engraving by RP Leitch); Archaeological Services Durham University, 2015, St. Bartholomew's School, Benton - Archaeological Assessment