Tyne and Wear HER(11418): Jesmond, South Jesmond Conservation Area - Details
Jesmond, South Jesmond Conservation Area
Designated in 1987. South Jesmond is made up of late Victorian residential property set in a mature landscape. Major open spaces include All Saints Cemetery (HER 5232), Jesmond Old Cemetery (HER 5007) and the County Cricket Ground. From 1741 to 1821, the Warwick family owned the land that now includes the Conservation Area. After the Warwick family went bankrupt in 1821, Thomas Burdon purchased the northern section and James Archbold and others, purchased the southerly portion. There were two principal routes through the area, now known as Jesmond Road and Sandyford Road. Osborne Avenue, Osborne Road, Clayton Road, Fernwood Road, Akenside Terrace, Granville Road and Jesmond Road north side form a large and prestigious Victorian residential development constructed predominently between 1858 and 1898. Pears Archbold (nephew of James) built much of Osborne Road, Portland Terrace, Osborne Terrace, Hutton Terrace, Percy Terrace, Akenside Terrace and the villas on Clayton Road between 1863 and 1875. During the mid C19 this part of Jesmond became the home of shipbuilders, shipowners and other captains of industry (such as T.H. Bainbridge of the department store and G.B. Hunter of Swan Hunter shipbuilders). Burdon Place (four red brick terrace houses, with long front gardens and a handsome boundary wall with recessed panels) was built on land owned by Sir Thomas Burdon and advertised for sale in 1811. The semi detached Jesmond Villas is now subsumed in the Swallow Hotel complex. This subarea is characterised by large mid to late Victorian houses, detached, semi-detached and terraced in a mixture of architectural styles, materials and detailing.Osborne Avenue is a leafy residential street with two Victorian terraces on the north side and large semi-detached Victorian villas (Osborne Villas) and modern infill on the south side. A grade 2 listed pillar-box (HER 4635) lies north of No. 4 Osborne Villas. Osborne Court (HER 9899) is an Art Deco style apartment block adjacent to the County Cricket Ground. No. 8 Osborne Road, a detached white glazed brick Victorian villa, is now a children's nursery. No. 7 Fernwood Road is a red brick Victorian villa with a number of eclectic extensions. Clayton Road, Fernwood Road and Granville Road are characterised by large detached and semi-detached Victorian villas in sandstone or buff brick with Italianate style or restrained classical elevations, or later red brick Queen Anne style. Most of these family homes are now commercial properties. Pears Archbold was responsible for constructing Portland Terrace, Hutton Terrace, Percy Terrace and Osborne Terrace between 1863 and 1875.
Newcastle City Council, 2007, South Jesmond Conservation Area Character Statement;