Tyne and Wear HER(11428): Jesmond, Crag Hall - Details
Jesmond, Crag Hall
Crag Hall was built circa 1788 as a short row of miners cottages on the bank of the Crag Hall Burn. It was converted to a single dwelling in 1814. In 1970 the building was threatened with demolition, then was converted to offices, later Local Government Offices. In 1981 it was converted into a residential care home. A number of extensions have been added to the rear and east end of the building. Crag Hall is stone built with a slate roof. The original window pattern has been retained to a large extent, with sashes at first floor and multi-paned heavier sashes at ground floor. A glazed porch extension has been added to the front of the building. The building is screened from the road by a tall sandstone wall with simple gate piers.
Newcastle City Council, 2003, Jesmond Dene Conservation Area Character Statement, p 19-20; Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 54