Tyne and Wear HER(11433): Gosforth Conservation Area - Details
Gosforth Conservation Area
Designated in April 2002. Gosforth developed from Coxlodge Hall (HER 1868) and Bulman Village (HER 9800). The Conservation Area contains a housing stock of types and architectural styles (High Victorian, Queen Anne Revival and Edwardian) which are not represented in such quality anywhere else in the City. Gosforth High Street is a typical traditional high street which compliments the residential suburb. The earliest buildings are Ye Olde Jockey (HER 9966) and a row of 6 houses, built in 1825. The Brandling Arms was built by 1830 and the name Bulman Village was coined. At South Gosforth there was development around St. Nicholas Church (HER 9146) and Gosforth Colliery. By the late C19 Woodbine Road, West Avenue, Ivy Road, Hawthorn Road and Causey Street were in place. Housing was simple two storey brick or stone terraces with deep rear yards. There were large stone detached houses off Kenton Road. The street pattern was extended in the early C20. Furzefield Road, Meadowfield Road and Brackenfield Road were built on land poached from Ashburton RC Cemetery. Houses varied between richly decorated terraces and large semi-detached houses. The Graham Park Estate by architect William Hope of Hope and Maxwell Architects was developed by James Frazer as a series of imposing terraces (The Drive, Oaklands, Moor Place, Leslie Crescent) and large semi-detached villas (Graham Park Road, Elmfield Road south side, The Poplars). The Poplars is Queen Anne Revival style of 1906. Brookside in Moor Crescent is probably William Hope's best villa with a fine view over the Town Moor. Andrew Kerr Tasker completed the estate in Queen Anne Revival style. The Kenton Park Estate was begun in 1923. Adeline Gardens and Osbaldeston Gardens were created in 1932. Hedley House was built for Procter and Gamble around 1953. Graham Park Road flats were built in 1951/2.
Newcastle City Council, 2002, Gosforth Conservation Area Character Statement