Tyne and Wear HER(1148): Earsdon Colliery, Grange Pit - Details
Earsdon Colliery, Grange Pit
Coal Mining Site
Air Shaft, south of Earsdon. Marked Air Shafts on 2nd edition OS mapping, which also shows expansion of spoil heaps around the shafts. This was part of Earsdon Colliery, which was opened in 1826 and closed in 1934. This particular pit opened in 1874.
<< HER 1148 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk