Tyne and Wear HER(1151): Monkseaton, Brewery - Details
Brewing and Malting Site
The first mention of a brewery with malting and adjoining dwelling house at this site was in a Newcastle Courant sale advertisemen in 1803. In 1804, the house and outbuildings were surrendered to Samuel Hurry of North Shields to whom the new Whitley brewery had been surrendered in 1794. In 1814 William Clark, Ann Snowdon and Thomas Hutchinson were listed as common brewers at Monkseaton Brewery, holding the lease for one year. On 28th November 1826 it was advertised for sale in the Newcastle Courant, described as a lucrative business. In 1920 the Trustees of Monkseaton Brewery conveyed the premises to the Northumberland Brewery Co, Gateshead. By 1934 the brewery was no longer in business, and in 1938 the brewery and Monkseaton Arms were demolished. The harness room became a pet store, and later Lloyds bank, and a new Monkseaton Arms was built on the old site.
<< HER 1151 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89 P. Johnson, 1993, In the Footsteps of Tomlinson, Unpublished, p 49-55 W.W. Tomlinson, 1893, Historical Notes on Cullercoats, Whitley and Monkseaton, pp 56-58 M. Snape, 2004, Tyne and Wear Museums, 88-90 Front Street, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, Archaeological Assessment, p 12 E. MacKenzie, 1825, View of the County of Northumberland, Vol 1 Details of brewery's origin, Acc 4204120A -North Shields Library Local Studies C. W. Steel, 2000, Images of England - Monkseaton and Hillheads; North Tyneside Council Development Directorate, August 2006, Monkseaton Conservation Area Character Appraisal Draft