Tyne and Wear HER(11570): Walbottle, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1 (now vestry) - Details
Walbottle, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1 (now vestry)
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
The original Wesleyan chapel is now used as the Church Hall for the slightly later listed Methodist Church (HER 8890) which is adjacent to the west. It is T-plan in shape and is built of hammer-dressed coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings and quoins. The roof is hipped slate with stone coping. The chapel is one storey, of three bays, with a projecting left porch, renewed double door and pointed arched front porch window with intersecting glazing bars. Round headed windows with renewed glazing in keyed surrounds and projecting stone sills flank the porch.
Ordnance Survey First Edition, 1858; Newcastle City Council, 2009, Walbottle Village Conservation Area Character Statement and Management Plan, pages 13-14; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and N Tyneside