Tyne and Wear HER(11620): Newcastle, Church of St. Nicholas, Anglo-Saxon slab - Details
Newcastle, Church of St. Nicholas, Anglo-Saxon slab
Cramp (1984, 251) cites a reference by Honeyman (1932, 99) to a possible Anglo-Saxon slab carved with a pattern "in imitation of sea waves" that was formerly found at the north door of St. Nicholas's church, Newcastle. Both Bourne (1736) and Brand (1789) mention this stone, but it has not been seen in modern times.
R. Cramp, 1984, Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture, County Durham and Northumberland, 1, Parts 1 and 2, p 251; H.L. Honeyman, 1932, The cathedral church of St. Nicholas, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 4, Vol IX, pp 96-193; H Bourne, 1736, The History of Newcastle upon Tyne, p 58; J Brand, 1789, The History and Antiquities of the Town and County of the Town of Newcastle upon Tyne, Vol 1, p 236; C.P. graves and D. H. Heslop, 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, The Eye of the North - An Archaeological Assessment, p 85