Tyne and Wear HER(1164): Willington, New Willington Wagonway - Details
Willington, New Willington Wagonway
Willington Wagonway started at NZ 3172 6840, near Old Engine Pit (HER ref. 1166) and served Edward Pit, Bigge Pit and Willington Colliery Low Pit (HER refs. 1165, 1163 and 1189), crossing Willington Dean by Viaduct (HER ref. 1185). An earlier course of this line might be represented by an earlier wagonway (HER ref. 1168). Its Southern terminus was at Willington Staith (HER ref. 2102). It is marked as Disused on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Map (1895/4 survey). This line followed at least part of the course of the Grand Allies' Willington New Line, from Battle Hill to Low Pit, opened in 1820 and worked using an inclined plane system. Archaeological fieldwork in the area of Battle Hill revealed insubstantial traces of this wagonway.
<< HER 1164 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89 C. R. Warn, 1976, Wagonways & Early Railways of Northumberland, 1605-1840 p.49 Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2001, Battle Hill Playing Fields, Wallsend, Geophysical Survey; The Brigantia Archaeological Practice, 2001, Archaeological Evaluation at Battle Hill Playing Fields, Wallsend; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2012, Waggonways North of River Tyne: tyne and Wear HER Enhancement Project; Turnbull, L. 2012 Railways Before George Stephenson