Tyne and Wear HER(1165): Willington Colliery, Edward Pit - Details
Willington Colliery, Edward Pit
Coal Mining Site
Edward Pit (Coal). Was served by Willington Wagonway (HER 1164). Opened 1810 by Messrs Bell & Co. Edward Pit was the upcast shaft for Willington Colliery. The colliery closed in 1889 but reopened in 1913 for another 18 years. Edward Shaft was refurbished and carried on after 1913 as a ventilation shaft for Wallsend Colliery.
<< HER 1165 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; English Heritage Hadrian's Wall WHS Mapping Project, 2008, 1405623; Aerial Photograph RAF 106G/UK/1193 4175 27-FEB-1946; Roy Thompson, 2004, Thunder Underground - Northumberland Mine Disasters 1815-65, p 79-83