Tyne and Wear HER(11654): Bishopwearmouth, village green - Details
Bishopwearmouth, village green
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
The green was the common land at the heart of the medieval village. It is shown on Rain's Eye Plan of 1790. By 1737 (Burleigh and Thompson's map) around the green were small houses interspersed with workshops, corn mills, slaughter houses and tanneries. Bull baiting took place on the green. Today the Town Park includes the remanants of the green. It is soft landscaped area with mature trees and shrubbery.
Sunderland City Council, 2007, Bishopwearmouth Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Strategy; Sunderland City Council, 1998, Bishopwearmouth: a circular walk through the Conservation Area; Tyne and Wear Museums, 1996, Bishopwearmouth: An Archaeological Assessment; T. Corfe, 1973, A History of Sunderland; T. Corfe, 1983, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914; G.E. Milburn and S.T Miller, 1988, Sunderland River, Town & People: A History from the 1780s to the Present Day; N. Pevsner and Elizabeth Williamson, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition); The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2012, Former Gas Board Offices, Hind Street, Sunderland, Archaeological Assessment and Buildings Recording