Tyne and Wear HER(1166): Willington, Old Engine Pit - Details
Willington, Old Engine Pit
Coal Mining Site
An Old Engine Pit, presumably a Coal Mine, is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, but it is not clear whether it was working at that time (c.1858). This may have been the Engine Pit opened in 1775 "at Willington" by Messrs Bells and Brown.
<< HER 1166 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89 C.E. Lee, 1949, Tyneside Tramroads of Northumberland 1947-9, Transactions of the Newcomen Society, p.203