Tyne and Wear HER(1170): Willington Colliery, Millbank Pit - Details
Willington Colliery, Millbank Pit
Coal Mining Site
Millbank Pit appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map but is not shown on the 2nd edition, so had presumably ceased operations by 1894/5. Opened on 23 February 1775 by Messrs Bell & Co.
<< HER 1170 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; T. Hair, 1844, Views of the colleries in the counties of Northumberland and Durham