Tyne and Wear HER(11744): Ouseburn, Lower Steenberg's Yard, transit warehouse - Details
Ouseburn, Lower Steenberg's Yard, transit warehouse
This small warehouse probably dates to around 1850. It was probably built to store items brought in by boats. There was a travelling crane running the full length of the building - the rails are still extant. It could have been used to store hay and feedstocks for the Cattle Sanatorium (HER 4685). The warehouse was recorded in June 2008 (Entec Uk Ltd) as a precaution due to its derelict condition. The report concludes that the building is single-storey in purple-red 3 inch brick, laid in English garden wall bond with a Welsh slate gabled roof. At the north-west end is a brick outshut. The north east elevation to the Ouse Burn has six doorways with segmental heads in buff brick, blocked with orange-red engineering brick in stretcher bond, and a square headed double door with louvred overlight into the outshut. The north-west gable end has a single tall window with segmental head, blocked with plywood. The south-west elevation onto Steenberg's Yard has two low square-headed windows to the outshut blocked by engineering brick. At a high level are five large circular windows with buff brick dressings. There is also a double door.
Brian Nichol, 2002, Steenberg's Lower Yard The Early Years, pages 12-13 (unpublished typescript); Ove Arup & Partners, 1998, Lower Steenberg's Yard - Byker, Engineering Study; 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1896; Patrick Parsons Ltd, 2002, Cattle Sanatorium, Structural Assessment; Entec UK Ltd. Ouseburn Barrage, Ouseburn, Newcastle upon Tyne, Historic Buildings Recording; The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2010, Maynard's Toffee Factory, Ouseburn, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Assessment and Building Recording