Tyne and Wear HER(11831): South Shields, Dean Road, Wood Terrace Sports Ground - Details
South Shields, Dean Road, Wood Terrace Sports Ground
South Shields Cricket Club is the third oldest surviving sporting club in Tyne and Wear. Formed in 1850. They play at Dean Road. The cricket ground is shown on the OS second edition map of 1890. The ground was laid out in 1868. South Shields Cricket Club was joined in 1875 by Westoe Rugby Football Club. In 1880 the Westoe Tennis Club formed on the site. The brick pavilion was designed by FW Newby and opened in October 1934. On 24 April 2010 South Shields Cricket Club and Westoe Rugby Football Club played at the ground on the same day, for the first time.
North East Civic Trust & South Tyneside Council, 2002, Westoe Conservation Area Character Appraisal; South Tyneside Council, 2006, Westoe Conservation Area Management Plan, Draft SPD 10; A. Flagg, date unknown, 'Westoe Village', unpublished text held by South Shields Local Studies Library; G. Hodgson, 1924, History of South Shields; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; Pearson, Lynn, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 8, 101, 108