Tyne and Wear HER(11834): Hebburn Hall Conservation Area - Details
Hebburn Hall Conservation Area
Hebburn Hall Conservation Area is defined by two key areas, comprising Hebburn Cemetery and Hebburn Hall and its grounds. Hebburn Hall (HER 1951) also known as Ellison Hall was constructed in the 18th century and has been substantially altered. It is said to have been built on the site of a pele tower (HER 979). The hall was rebuilt in 1790 possibly by William Newton. In 1886 Colonel R.H. Carr Ellison altered the servants quarters into a vestibule for the newly converted St. John's Church on the north side of the Hall. The west wing of the Hall became the rectory/vicarage for the church. St. John's was consecrated in 1887. In 2001 the west side of the Hall was sympathetically converted into 3 dwellings. Work is ongoing in the east side of the Hall . Carr Ellison Park (HER 5218) is located south of Hebburn Hall on the site of the original gardens, which included a plantation, garden and nursery, South Hebburn Farm and a calf garth (yard) as shown on a Church Commissioners plan by Richardson of 1768. During the 19th century there were substantial pleasure grounds south of Hebburn Hall. In 1920 Colonel Ralph Henry Carr Ellison presented 25 acres to the town as a park. By about 1916 the gardens had been named Hebburn Park, which included a bandstand, tennis court, bowling greens, aviary, greenhouses and Boer War Memorial (HER 10890). By 1941-2 the park was renamed Carr Ellison Park. A war memorial was erected (HER 11267). By 1957-8 a sunken garden (The Dell) was laid out on the site of a 19th century fish pond in the pleasure gardens. A putting green was also added. Hebburn Hall Ponds (HER 2518, known locally as The Lakes) were four man made ponds established through damming the Bede's Burn around 1890. They were originally created to provide water for nearby industries but latterly were used for swimming and boating, with a boat house on the north bank of the northernmost pond. The ponds were drained by 1968. Hebburn Cemetery (HER 5234) includes a gate lodge (HER 8068) and a double mortuary chapel (HER 8069). It was expanded by 1942. There were allotment gardens to the south-west of the cemetery in the 1890s. Some were converted to a sports ground in the 1940s. They were all built over in the 1950s. Typical housing in the CA are red brick terraces with painted stone dressings and slate roofs. Most of the original windows have been replaced with uPVC and few Victorian or Edwardian doors survive. The Conservation Area serves to protect the historic core of Hebburn.
Simpson & Brown and South Tyneside Council, 2007, Hebburn Hall Conservation Area - First draft Character Appraisal; www.hebburn.org; www.norman.dunn247.com; www.999hebburn.co.uk