Fast Search

You are Here: Home / South Shields, Mariners Cottages Conservation Area

Tyne and Wear HER(11860): South Shields, Mariners Cottages Conservation Area - Details

Back to Search Results


S Tyneside

South Shields, Mariners Cottages Conservation Area

South Shields






Documentary Evidence

Designated in June 1981. A small compact area of approximately 1 hectare. The CA comprises a remarkably intact group of early Victorian almshouses. These illustrate the wealth of and respect for the seafaring community which influences South Shields' history. There are two neat single storey terraces (HER 4511 and 4513) with enclosed gardens. The terraces and boundary walls are listed grade 2. The terraces include 22 and 17 brick cottages. They face each other across enclosed green courtyards. These are part communal and part private gardens. The boundary walls (HER 4512 and 4514) have railings, pillars and gates. The larger single unit on the north side which faces out of the courtyard was probably the communal library. The terraces and walls were listed in 1983. The terraces are similar but not identical. The CA boundary includes the two back lanes. On the 1862 Ordnance Survey map, only the north terrace existed. Tenders for building the south side were accepted that same year. The track in front of the terraces later became part of Broughton Road. The angled alignment of Sydenham Terrace to the west was the original route to the mariners' cottages before Broughton Road was developed. In 1839 a society was established to provide asylum and annuity to aged mariners, widows and orphans. Ship masters and other notables present at the meeting includes James Redhead, Robert Chapman, Robert Anderson, Joseph Hargreaves, James Young, Dr T.M. Winterbottom, Lord Bishop of Durham, Robert Ingham, Richard Shortridge, Errington Bell and George Potts. Winterbottom, Ingham and Shortridge had established the Marine School in 1866. In 1843 the committee bought one and half acres of land from Richard Ingham to build an asylum on Ogle Terrace Lane. In December 1843 Robert Anderson, builder, laid the foundation stone for five cottages and Dr. Winterbottom gave the society £600 to pay for the buildings. In 1844 the north and west boundary wall and a well were planned. In 1846 Dr Winterbottom presented three further cottages to the society. A library, washroom and four larger cottages were built. These appear to be the easternmost buildings which have a basement level. By 1849 the 21 cottages on the north side were complete. In 1852 Dr Winterbottom donated £100 for gardeners to tend a lawn in front of the cottages. He also presented two baths and a washing machine. In 1856 the society consisted of 121 contributing members and 12 annuitants. In 1858-9 Southampton ballast was procured for the cottage walks. Dr Winterbottom presented £300 for the future painting of the cottages. He died on 8 July 1859 aged 93. In 1862 the south cottages were built by Mr Hepple at a cost of £3000. In 1869 the north boundary wall was partially demolished and a new wall rebuilt. A sewer was installed in the back lane north of the cottages. In 1870-1 a clump of trees was removed from the green of the north cottages and sown with grass. In 1873-5 the internal walls of the cottages were painted with 'bright varnish and red ochre' to remedy damp. In 1876 John Hedley of North Shields bought the land next to the southern cottages on which to build. The society refused to allow the rear lane of the mariners' cottages public and so John Hedley had to build a separate back lane, parallel to that of the cottages, separated by a brick wall. In 1879 the north back lane was resurfaced. The cottage foundations were drained due to damp and walls plastered. In 1881 a new house was built at the west end of the south cottages. There was an objection to the overlooking windows and so they were bricked up in 1884. In 1887 the elder trees were replaced with small privet trees. In 1890-3 the society agreed to build 34 dry ash closets. The clock in the centre of the north cottages was replaced by a circular stone engraved with a misleading '1839'. In 1898 the library was converted into a two-roomed cottage. The books, maps and model ship were given to the Museum and Free Library. The painting




South Tyneside Council/North of England Civic Trust, August 2006, Mariners' Cottages Conservation Area Character Appraisal; George B. Hodgson, 1996, Borough of South Shields (first published 1903); South Shields Gazette, 20 September 1962; South Shields Master Mariners' Asylum & Annuity Society, April 1939, Centenary Dinner Programme 1839-1939

Back to Search Results