Tyne and Wear HER(11863): Monkton Village Conservation Area - Details
Monkton Village Conservation Area
Designated in 1975, Monkton Conservation Area is a delightful collection of farms and houses from the 17th to 20th centuries which line Monkton Lane. The origins of the village date back to at least 1074 (HER 152). Monkton was based on four farms - West Farm, Monkton Farm, East Farm and Grange Farm. There were also several large houses including Monkton Hall. In 1826 the Bowes Railway opened from Springwell Colliery to Jarrow Staithes on the River Tyne. The railway skirted the southern edge of Monkton, crossing Monkton Lane at level crossings at either end of the village. The route of the railway limited the village's southern growth but did define a neat quadrant of land which was developed in the 1970s as Cheviot Road. Monkton Stadium opened to the south of the village in the late 19th century. Waste from the smelting of ore for Palmer's shipyard was dumped in open fields north of the village, eventually creating a huge slag heap. The Bede Burn was culverted. The heap was reclaimed as Campbell Park and Bedeswell Park, a 50 acre green area for recreation and nature. Bede's Well is an ancient water source within the park. 20th century development has fractured the medieval pattern at Cheviot Road and has overlain it at High Back Close and Barns Close. Most of the historic buildings in the CA have thick stone walls, pitched roofs, plain eaves and vertical window openings. The Grange and Monkton Farmhouse have restrained classical Georgian proportions. The Lord Nelson public house is in Old English revival style.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, March 2006, Monkton Conservation Area Character Appraisal; N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition)