Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Earsdon Conservation Area

Tyne and Wear HER(11868): Earsdon Conservation Area - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

Earsdon Conservation Area







Documentary Evidence

Designated in 1974. 'Erdesdun' (hill of red earth) is first mentioned in the 9th century. For a short time after the Norman Conquest, Earsdon was part of the De Mowbray's barony. Documentary references from the early 12th century show that the two-row village was owned by Tynemouth Priory from 1067. In 1649 the common fields were enclosed. The village flourished in the 17th century. In the Civil War, Parlimentarian troops were billeted upon the villagers. The end of the 17th century until the end of the 19th was the most prosperous period of Earsdon's history. Most of the present village dates to this time. The surrounding countryside is designated Green Belt and Protected Open Space to restrain expansion of the village. The oldest part of Earsdon lies west of the Red Lion Inn, south of Front Street. There are old stone walls and buildings, one of which is the remains of an old pele tower built in the 16th century. Earsdon contains 12 listed buildings. The most commanding is St. Alban's Church (HER 7250). To the west of the church is the Arts and Crafts style Edward Eccles Church Hall (HER 7249). The Quarry Cottage on Church Way, built on a former quarry, is a quirky 1960s dwelling with deeply cutting roof, prominent chimney, cat slide dormer and a generous garden to the south with trees protected by a Tree Preservation Order. At the corner of Church Way is a terrace of modest coursed sandstone cottages but at the pavement edge. The former primary school was built in 1860 and is now used as the community centre. The vicarage (HER 7248) is listed grade 2, as is Manor House (HER 7251). The war memorial is listed grade 2 (HER 7258). The stables and coach house to Bleak Hope House (HER 7255) are also listed. The Garth (HER 7256) and The Smithy (HER 9404) lie on Front Street close to Bleakhope House (HER 7253). The Red Lion Pub replaced the old stone pub of the same name. The Cannon Inn (HER 8401) has a hipped roof. Eastfield House is a Victorian rendered detached villa with a generous garden. There are Edwardian terraces (John Street, Church View and Garden Terrace). Woodlands Close is a late C20 estate of bungalows. Earsdon has won the Wansbeck Trophy for Best Village 2002-2005.




North Tyneside Council, January 2006, Earsdon Village Conservation Area Character Statement;

Back to Search Results