Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Tynemouth Conservation Area

Tyne and Wear HER(11869): Tynemouth Conservation Area - Details

Back to Search Results


11869


N Tyneside


Tynemouth Conservation Area


Tynemouth


NZ36NE


Domestic



Settlement


Modern


C20


Documentary Evidence


Tynemouth is an ancient settlement which grew up to service the Priory, then the military. Later it became a spa resort for the wealthy seeking a 'sea cure'. Religious buildings have occupied the headland since the 8th century. The ruined priory church (HER 117) dates to the 11th century, replacing an earlier Anglo Saxon church. The surrounding castle (HER 133) was enlarged in Elizabethan times with the fortified curtain wall (HER 134) and the Spanish Battery (HER 136). The medieval street pattern (HER 137) can still be observed in East Street and in the parallel layout of Front Street, Middle Street and Percy Street (Back Street). There are 17th, 18th and 19th century houses on Front Street. The popularity of Tynemouth as a holiday destination began in the early 19th century and increased with the arrival of the railway and the opening of Tynemouth Terminal (HER 2050) in 1847. At this time terraces of substantial three storey houses in elegant late Georgian classical style were built. Hotspur Street to Percy Park consists of densely packed late Victorian terraces. Edwardian period houses with slate roofs and sash windows followed. Percy Gardens crescent (HER 9342) was developed from the 1860s behind landscaped gardens (HER 5252) overlooking King Edward's Bay. The Grand Hotel (HER 7342) was built in the mid 1870s. The Duke of Northumberland was the landowner of the village, hence the names Percy Street, Warkworth Terrace, Syon Street and Percy Park. Tynemouth Station (HER 2127) was constructed in 1882 to replace various terminus stations (HER 2046). The statue to Admiral Lord Collingwood (HER 1976), Nelson's second in command at Trafalgar was erected in 1845. The breakwater pier (HER 2065, 1984) from the headland was built between 1854 and 1895. The Volunteer Life Brigade Watch House (HER 2214) opened in 1887. The cliffs and the Black Middens are Sites of Special Scientific Interest. The Howl Ings and Prior's Park Allotments are Sites of Nature Conservation Importance. The coastline is part of the Northumberland Coast Special Protection Area. The Plaza was burned out in 1996 and has since been demolished. The open air swimming pool (HER 9312) has been in-filled to create a rock pool. There are some 49 listed buildings in the CA {Tynemouth Village Character Statement, 2001}.


3702


6941


NZ37026941



Tynemouth Village Character Statement Design Team, Tynemouth Village Character Statement - A jewel on the North East coast, 2001; North Tynemouth Council and North East Civic Trust, 2004, Tynemouth Conservation 1998-2004; Nikolaus Pevsner and Ian Richmond, Second edition revised by John Grundy, Grace McCombie, Peter Ryder, Humphrey Welfare, 1992, The Buildings of England: Northumberland, pp 587-596; North Tyneside Council, 2010, Tynemouth Village Conservation Area Character Appraisal

Back to Search Results