Tyne and Wear HER(11870): Preston, Preston Park Conservation Area - Details
Preston, Preston Park Conservation Area
Designated on 19th March 1981. The Conservation Area is Victorian in character, containing 13 buildings. The central open space is approximately 1 hectare in size. The area once formed part of Kirton Park Farm, which lay to the south of the CA next to Camp Terrace. From the middle of the 18th Century North Shields was expanding with developments for the wealthy such as Dockwray and Northumberland Squares. The success of these developments led to prestigious developments elsewhere. John Fenwick sold land which would become Preston Park to four local families to build four grand villas. These were Preston Tower (HER 11936), Easby House, now called Peary House, Clementhorpe and Ingleside. The first house to be built was Clementhorpe before 1866. Easby House and Preston Tower were built in the early 1870s. Lincluden and Denham House were built on the east side of the park in the 1880s. At the turn of the twentieth century a plan was approved to complete the park with a central area of open space and a further seven villas on the private road. These were built between 1895 and 1907. Lincluden, Clementhorpe and Preston Tower were designed by local architect F.R.N. Haswell. The CA focuses around a rectangular park, which gives this little enclave its name. The area is very natural and heavily wooded. A Tree Preservation Order covers the park and the trees in the private gardens. Twelve large Victorian houses front onto the park varying in style and size. The park was once bounded by an iron post and rail fence but this was removed in the 1990s. A 6m wide private road runs around the park. At the south entrance the original gateposts remain. The houses along the southern boundary of the CA were built after the turn of the twentieth century. To the rear of these properties is a high Victorian brick wall, enclosing the southern aspect of the Park.
North Tyneside Council, Environment, Regeneration & Housing Directorate, 2005, Preston Park Draft Conservation Area Character Statement