Tyne and Wear HER(11872): North Shields, Camp Terrace Conservation Area - Details
North Shields, Camp Terrace Conservation Area
Designated in 1975. Camp Terrace Conservation Area comprises some of the earliest parts of North Shields' residential suburbs with around 245 dwellings. The boundary is based on some of the earliest residential streets to the north of the Georgian new town. Brick is the main building material, but local sandstones are used for early boundary walls. The are long late C19 and early C20 terraces to the north, west and south. Grosvenor Place, Frank Place, Spring Terrace and Lovaine Terrace are of special interest. Christ Church is listed grade 2. There are allotments at Cleveland Terrace. There are late C20 flats and terraces at Haswell Gardens on the site of Tynemouth Union Workhouse, later Preston Hospital. Cooper's map of 1831 shows Camp Terrace isolated north of the town. This isolated terrace was not designed for industrial or agricultural workers and is similar to urban townhouses. Nos. 1-4 Camp Terrace are said to have been built at the end of the Napoleonic Wars for officers of tented military camps at South Preston. There are broadly three zones within the CA - the east zone includes the earliest houses on Fenwick Terrace and stub terraces off it. The south zone was the next phase of development, south of Cleveland Road, with higher density terraces. The north zone, north of Cleveland Road are mainly semi-detached houses. There are a few Tyneside flats in the CA (Waterloo Place west end and Cleveland Road). Large houses on Cleveland Road and Alma Place have been converted to flats. There are several business uses - a bookshop on Fenwick Terrace, the former training centre on Cleveland Road, plus dental surgeries, doctor's surgeries and a funeral directors. Nos. 1-4 Camp Terrace are the oldest houses in the CA (c.1810, HER 7280). Nos. 5-6 are later (HER 7282). Nos. 13-18 are much smaller in scale. Camp Terrace is gated. There are stone boundary walls to the rear. The end gable of No. 1 Camp Terrace has an oval window (oeil-de-beouf). Nos. 1-6 Alma Place and Nos. 1-9 Cleveland Road are large terraces with half-sunken basements, requiring steps to the front door, which increases their grandeur. Nos. 1-7 Waterloo Place are handed pairs (each house is a mirror plan of the next). The buildings are all brick. Original roofs are slate. Nos. 12-14 Cleveland Road are rendered (1920s rural cottage revival style). Bay windows have hung tiles.
North Tyneside Council, Development Directorate, September 2006, Camp Terrace Conservation Area, Character Appraisal; North Tyneside Council, Development Directorate, Draft October 2010, Camp Terrace Conservation Area Character Appraisal