Tyne and Wear HER(11875): Killingworth Conservation Area - Details
Killingworth Conservation Area
Designated in November 1974. The boundary is based on the medieval village and the open space and development pattern around it. Killingworth village (HER 800) was held by the barony of Roger de Merlay III in 1242. During the 17th century the area held Newcastle Races on Killingworth Moor south of the village. The moor was enclosed in 1793 by the construction of West Lane, Great Lime Road and Killingworth Road. By the mid 1700s the village consisted of a street of cottages and farms. Killingworth House (HER 11364) was built in 1732 and Killingworth Hall (HER 7757) was rebuilt in 1765, both to designs by Lancelot Coxon. In 1865 was separated from Longbenton to become a distinct ecclesiastical parish. St. John the Evangelist Church (HER 7260) was consecrated in 1869. The area surrounding the village was an important industrial area with collieries, quarries, a clay pit, brick and tile works. Croft View is a Victorian terrace. Hillside is a 1930s street of semi-detached houses. Stoneycroft East and West and The Spinney are late C20 cul-de-sacs. The largest surviving houses in Killingworth are Killingworth Hall, North Farm House (HER 7263) and Killingworth Cottage (HER 7265). Mill House has retained within it an old gin-gang. The Old Stables is another refurbished farm building (HER 11369). The Gate House and The Tower were built in 1925. Killingworth Park was formed in 1976. It has a grand main entrance with stone wall and ornate railings. The southern boundary is an old stone wall. There is a gravel path circling areas of grass and the western side has dense tree coverage and large open areas (and is a Site of Local Conservation Interest). There are a significant number of mature native trees in the streets, gardens and open spaces (sycamore, ash, horse chestnut etc) and over 150 trees are formally protected with Tree Preservation Orders. There is a wood south of Gate House and The Tower which fell out of agricultural use in the 1960s. This is part of a Wildlife Corridor and is a Site of Local Conservation Interest.
North Tyneside Council, 2008, Killingworth Village Conservation Area Character Appraisal; W.G. Elliott and Edwin Smith, 1999, Bygone Days of Longbenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor and Killingworth; W.G. Elliott, 2000, Bygone Days of Longbenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor, Killingworth, Palmersville and Benton Square; W.G. Elliott, 2002, The Parish and Church of St. Bartholomew, Long Benton - A Social History