Tyne and Wear HER(11877): Wallsend, The Green Conservation Area - Details
Wallsend, The Green Conservation Area
Designated on 1st November 1974. The boundary is based on the medieval village (HER 803) green and the development pattern around it. In his 1985 book 'The English Village Green, Brian Bailey says "much more surprising is the green at Wallsend… the old part of the town retains its former village green in the face of all probabilities, though it had to fight to do so in the 19th century when the green was threatened by development". John Bell's map of 1800 shows Wallsend Hall (HER 7363) which was at that time owned by Willism Clark, who would become the town's first mayor. The school is now called Jasmine House (HER 7364) and the schoolmaster's house is now called Cross House (HER 7365). The village was still owned by the Bishop of Durham in 1800. Alderman William Cramlington moved into the White House in 1772. He became Mayor of Newcastle. His house had a 129 scre estate and a wealth of coal beneath it. During the C18 wealthy merchants and landowners from Newcastle continued to buy land in Wallsend and built large houses like the Grange, Red House (now demolished) and the Villa (late 1830s and surviving, HER 9329). A new hall was built by the Moncaster family, merchant venturers from Newcastle. Four farms existed in the village - North Farm, Point Pleasant Farm, Village Farm and Middle Farm. By 1858 the opulent mansions lining the Green had decorative gardens, arbours, ponds and terraced walkways. In 1856 Robert Richardson Dees, Newcastle solicitor, moved into the Hall with its extensive grounds and wooded walks beside Wallsend Burn and a vinery on the south facing slopes above with a well. By the end of the 19th century, most of North Farm had been replaced in 1870-1 by Elm's Terrace. Point Pleasant Farm was replaced by East and West Villas. These developments were by Richardson Dees. In 1870 Joseph Mordue, schoolmaster, built Dene House in the grounds of the school house. Orchard House was built by George Auburn Allen, mayor. The Red House was demolished in the 1890s and replaced with Hawthorn Villas and Park Villas. Richardson Dees donated the site of C Pit to the borough, converting it to a fashionable park, which opened on 4th June 1900. In 1904 the Allen Memorial Church was built, and in 1916 a library on Park Road. By 1916 Kings Road had been laid out as a north-south route to bypass Lily Bank. In 1914 Sir George Burton Hunter built the Hall and grounds and presented them to the Mayor and Corporation in 1919. It became a hospital. The grounds became public open space and were managed as an extension to the neighbouring park. The Grange was demolished from 1910. Following compulsory purchase in the 1940s, the Grange and Village Farm were replaced in the 1960s by housing built at right angles to the Green. Grange Close comprises 20 bungalows for the elderly. The White House was replaced by a vast covered roller skating rink (demolished in the 1980s). An unemployment benefit office was built next door in the 1950s. In 1940 the health centre was built in the grounds east of the Hall. In the 1950s part of the Hall was extended to create a Civic Hall. In 1979 Boyd Road was widened and straightened, meaning the demolition of Nelson Villa. In the 1980s and 1990s much of the commercial intrusion in the south-west corner of the CA was replaced by housing such as Whitehouse Mews. In the late C20 the Green was formally registered as a village green under the Commons Registration Act 1965. It is the only space in the Borough to be registered in this way.
North Tyneside Council, 2006, The Green Conservation Area Character Appraisal, 2006; William Richardson, 1923, History of the Parish of Wallsend; Ken Hutchinson, 2005, Images of England: Wallsend