Tyne and Wear HER(11879): Low Fell Conservation Area - Details
Low Fell Conservation Area
Designated on 26th March 1999. A Character Statement was approved in August 1997. The Conservation Area lies on the south-western slope of Gateshead Fell. It was originally a separate village but developed into a suburb of Gateshead. Durham Road and Kell's Lane are the principal north-south routes, and contain the shopping centre and principal public buildings. Low Fell is diverse in character - early 19th century vernacular buildings, late Victorian terraces, detached Victorian villas and early 20th century semi-detached houses. Gateshead Fell became inhabited by mine and quarry workers after it was enclosed in 1809. Low Fell was separated from High Fell by an earthern bank or fence. By 1819 Low Fell began to have the layout of a village. Durham Road turnpike (HER 4125) was built in 1827 with workers houses along it. Handsome villas were built for wealthier families attracted by the clean air and unspoilt landscape. By 1858 Low Fell had evolved into a neat village. A tramway was completed in 1883. This generated suburban housing east of Kells Lane and west of Durham Road. After the First World War development joined Low Fell to Gateshead. The core of the Conservation Area is a trinagle bounded by Kells Lane, Durham Road, Cross Keys Lane and Belle Vue Bank/Denewell Avenue. The buildings along Durham Road vary in age - the Wesleyan Methodist Church (HER 8258), Victorian shops and houses. Nos. 545-555 is an elevated stone crescent. Victoria Terrace and Victoria Place are mid to late 19th century cottages. Modern shopfronts have debased the quality of many of the houses. Kells Lane contains vernacular stone cottages, stone and brick terraces, semi-detached stone villas in gardens such as Home House (HER 8272). Kells Lane Primary School (HER 7530) and St. Peter's Church (HER 7531) are attractive. In Denewell Avenue and Dryden Road are a group of grand early 20th century yellow brick and pantile-roofed buildings. There is a high stone boundary wall on the north side of Rosslyn Avenue and late 19th century terraces in red brick with stone dressings and Welsh slate roofs. Front gardens are defined by dwarf walls and rear yards by high brick walls. Terraces on Beacon Street and Wesley Street are stone. Most terraces have modern windows, doors, dormers and garage doors in their yard walls. Kellfield Road has a variety of building styles - stone detached and semis on the west side with sizeable gardens. Rosehill is an ashlar terrace with slate roof and large gardens. At Underhill and Kellsfield Avenue there is a short terrace of Tyneside flats in red brick with stone dressings and Welsh slate roof. Underhill (HER 8270) dates to 1860 and is the former home of Sir Joseph Swan. Kellfield Avenue is a secluded tree-lined street with large late 19th century detached and semi-detached houses, tooled sandstone or rendered with Welsh slate roof. Most have barge boards, porches and timber detailing. Albert Drive, Earls Drive and Worley Avenue have Victorian terraces of red brick with long leafy gardens. The houses have been unsympathetically altered. Albert Memorial Park (HER 7661) is a private park bounded by a wooden fence. Myrtle Grove and Coleridge Avenue contain early 20th century semi-detached houses set out close together like a terrace. On Selborne Avenue and Killowen Street there are unusual houses in glazed white brick. Next to Selbourne Avenue is the wooded Dodds Dene. Alverstone Avenue has 1910 art deco-style semi-detached houses, partially rendered with rosemary tiled roofs with high chimney stacks. Cedar Crescent is a 1930s cul-de-sac.
Gateshead Council, April 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Proposed Low Fell Conservation Area, pp 76-79 (Supplementary Planning Guidance); Gateshead Council, July 2003, Low Fell Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategy and Character Statement (Appendix to Supplementary Planning Guidance 1)