Tyne and Wear HER(1189): Willington Colliery, Low Pit - Details
Willington Colliery, Low Pit
Coal Mining Site
The 1st edition OS mapping shows boilers and a reservoir within the site. Willington Colliery was opened in 1806 by Messrs Bell & Co. The colliery contributed to the running costs of the Friar's Goose Engine in Gateshead which pumped water out of the workings on either side of the Tyne (see HER 1012).
<< HER 1189 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; TH Hair, 1844, Views of the colleries in the counties of Northumberland and Durham