Tyne and Wear HER(1192): Whitley Bay, Whitley Colliery - Details
Whitley Bay, Whitley Colliery
Coal Mining Site
A shaft is shown within the site on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map. Coal mining was occurring in Whitley in the 1660s, because it is recorded that salt pans at Cullercoats were fired by coal from Whitley. The exact location of the Whitley mines of this period is unclear. In the 17th century the Whitley collieries were expanded and connected to the coast by wooden wagonways. The coal industry declined, however, when six salt pans were transferred to Blyth. Whitley Colliery was re-opened in 1810 and worked in conjunction with a quarry at Marden, where coal was used in the lime kilns. Whitley Bay expanded as a settlement for local colliers and workers.
<< HER 1192 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89 The Archaeological Practice, 2003, 10 York Road, Whitley Bay, Archaeological Assessment H.H.E. Craster, 1907, A History of Northumberland, Vol VIII; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk