Tyne and Wear HER(11920): Whickham Conservation Area - Details
Whickham Conservation Area
Designated on 11th July 1974. The boundary was amended on 5th February 1998. A linear Conservation Area including the historic core of the village (HER 694) and Dunston Hill House (HER 5226). The village grew up on the basis of agriculture and coal mining. In the 18th century after the shallow coal seams had been exhausted, it became a residential area for the wealthier classes. Dunston Hill House was built in 1740. In 1787 Whickham's buildings were described as 'modern and handsome'. Whickham was unaffected by colliery housing until the end of the 19th century when miners terraces began to appear at the western end. Since the First World War Whickham has grown as a commuter settlement, now with a population of nearly 15,000. New buildings have been built on Front Street between Rectory Lane and The Square and Chase Park has been created. The old village core includes the parish church (HER 693), council offices (HER 7479), large houses some now in institutional use, Front Street Primary School and The Rectory (HER 4849). The old buildings are mostly sandstone, either ashlar or coursed squared blocks of rubble. Sandstone is also used for walls and gate piers. Roofs are generally pantiled. Many of the more recent buildings use traditional materials. Inappropriate buildings in the CA include St. Mary's Green, a 1970s-1980s shopping centre, Kwik-Save and the Gibside Arms. On the south side of Church Chare there is a simple row of brick cottages. School Lane and Church Chare have a succession of stone frontages. The former grounds of Whickham Park and Dockendale Hall have been built over but the narrow lanes with mature trees, hedges, old walls, gate posts and ancillary buildings and cottages which are of interest. Chase Park is a large recreation ground. Opposite the top of Dunston Bank is a row of individually designed 1920s bungalows.
Gateshead Council, April 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Whickham Conservation Area, pp 4-8