Tyne and Wear HER(11921): Whickham Hall - Details
Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition Whickham Hall, also known as Whickham Rectory was constructed in the 16th century.The hall was attacked by the Scottish army in 1640 at the time of the battle of Newburn. The hall was a rectory until 1713. In c.1740 the south elevation of the hall was remodelled through the construction of a five bay Georgian stone faĆ§ade and central door, the constuction of new rooms and an attic for servants. From 1830 Whickham Hall became a private school.The hall is associated with extensive grounds and a stable block. In 1906 the hall was extended and split into two cottages.
Gateshead Council, April 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Whickham Conservation Area, pp 4-8; Derham, P. J. 2018. Wickham former stable block, Church Chare, HER4864