Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Whitley Bay, Whitley and Marden Quarries

Tyne and Wear HER(1193): Whitley Bay, Whitley and Marden Quarries - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

Whitley Bay, Whitley and Marden Quarries

Whitley Bay



Stone Quarry

Limestone Quarry

Post Medieval


Documentary Evidence

Whitley Quarry was also variously known as Whitley Lime Kiln Farm, Marden Farm or the Maudiln Pits. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map shows limekilns and an engine house within the site. A reservoir, belonging to North Shields Water Works also lies within the quarry (HER ref. 2001). The earliest records show a John Dove leasing the site in 1663. By around 1825 it had 12 lime kilns, including one battery of 6, 3 old kilns, a windmill, smithy and an internal wagonway system. It used the Whitley Wagonway to transport materials to the Tyne. Before the establishment of the railways it was probably the biggest lime producer in Northumberland. By 1850 it was in decline, with the flooded portion in use as a reservoir. LOCAL LIST




<< HER 1193 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89 S.M. Linsley, Notes on the Industrial Archaeology of Tyne and Wear, Whitley Quarry, p.240; C. W. Steel, 2000, Images of England - Monkseaton and Hillheads; North Tyneside Council, November 2008, Register of Buildings and Parks of Special Local Architectural and Historic Interest SDP (Local Development Document 9)

Back to Search Results