Tyne and Wear HER(11933): North Shields, Victoria Jubilee Infirmary, extension - Details
North Shields, Victoria Jubilee Infirmary, extension
Health and Welfare
Opened 28th March 1925. Built as part of the town's war memorial (see also HER 7284). The hospital extension inlcuded a pavilion, nurses home and administration block. In the entrance hall there was plaque 4 feet 6 inches high and 2 feet 6 inches wide. The plaque commemorates the opening of the building in 1925. The plaque had a wavy border and shows in half relief a physician and a child holding his hand. In his other hand the child holds a vase. The plaque also shows a fluted column and a bird. The hospital was demolished in 2000. The site is now occupied by Tynemouth Court.
North East War Memorials Project www.newmp.org.uk N34.01