Tyne and Wear HER(11956): Newcastle, town wall, West Spital Tower, parapet figure - Details
Newcastle, town wall, West Spital Tower, parapet figure
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
A mutilated example of a parapet figure from the town walls found reused in the town walls at [West] Spital during the demolition for the subsequent building of the railway. Used as a common walling stone in the fortifications. Donated to the Society of Antiquaries by Mr. MaKay, contractor for Central Railway Station on 1st August 1848.
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, 4, V, 1931-2, pp. 253-4; Archaeologia Aeliana, 1, IV, 1855, part 2, pp. 11-12; Museum of Antiquities 1848.5