Tyne and Wear HER(11973): Newcastle, Silver Street, wall and fence - Details
Newcastle, Silver Street, wall and fence
During excavations in 1973, a C16 wattle and daub wall on a low stone wall was recorded. It was aligned east-west and had a 25 x 10cm oak beam on top. The retaining wall of All Saints Churchyard had collapsed in 1814 and this perhaps explains the presence of tombstone fragments and human bone and teeth in this trench. On the south side of the trench, the north end of a medieval building of unknown date was recorded cut into the natural boulder clay. Above the wattle and daub fence was a layer of clay into which a fence of close-set birch uprights had been set following the line of the first wall. Above this was a layer of C17 rubbish, again sealed by a layer of clay. When the trench was extended to the east, a C17 ditch was found, and to the west a fence of oak uprights 1m apart to which planks of oak had been nailed.
Clack, P.A.G., 1974, 'Silver Street, Newcastle upon Tyne', Archaeological Newsbulletin for CBA Group 3, 8, (September), 2-3.