Tyne and Wear HER(11985): Newcastle, Clavering Place, Robinson's Warehouse - Details
Newcastle, Clavering Place, Robinson's Warehouse
The warehouse was built for Messrs. R. Robinson & Co. in 1903 to the design of Frank Rich, who also designed Robinson's north block in 1888, and their south block in 1897. Deposited building plan No. 12516 dated 12 Feb 1903 shows a steel-framed building of at least four storeys plus attic space, with deep stepped concrete footings. When the warehouse was constructed two Roman stone coffins and a castor ware beaker were found (HER 1450-1452). The warehouse was damaged by fire during the firemen's strike in the winter of 1977-8. It was subsequently demolished and the site levelled for use as a temporary carpark.
Barbara Harbottle, 10th March 1980, Robinson's Warehouse, Clavering Place, note in the HER C/ND/02/06