Tyne and Wear HER(11991): Southwick, Thompson Road, war memorial - Details
Southwick, Thompson Road, war memorial
On left side of entrance to recreation ground in the grass. Originally in the Miners Union Hall on Roker Avenue. The memorial was later moved to Wearmouth Colliery and placed outside the canteen. Then it was moved here. It was unveiled at the Miners Union Hall in March 1921. It is a marble horizontal plaque (2 feet 4 inches x 4 feet 9 inches) on a brick base 2 feet 10 inches high. The 173 names are in five columns. "PRO PATRIA. ERECTED IN MEMORY OF THE MINERS OF WEARMOUTH COLLIERY WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919".
North East War Memorials Project www.newmp.org.uk S130.10