Tyne and Wear HER(11992): Newcastle, Claremont Road, Church of St. Luke, war memorial - Details
Newcastle, Claremont Road, Church of St. Luke, war memorial
The original bronze war memorial plaque, 3 feet 9 inches x 2 feet, had a laurel wreath and cross at the top and listed 79 names. "TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE UP THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918". This was erected in a niche in the exterior wall at the north end of the church in 1921. The bronze panel became damaged when it was wrenched off the church by vandals in October 1989. It was found by road maintenance workers close by, repaired, and is now placed in the church porch. A new sandstone plaque was erected on 1st November 1992. "TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF ALL THOSE FROM THIS PARISH WHO HAVE DIED AS A RESULT OF WAR. THE ORIGINAL MEMORIAL IS NOW PLACED IN THE CHURCH PORCH".
North East War Memorials Project www.newmp.org.uk S108.03