Tyne and Wear HER(12031): Marley Hill, Church of St. Cuthbert - Details
Marley Hill, Church of St. Cuthbert
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
Built in 1877. Stands in a generous churchyard. Built of coursed sandstone and slate in a simple Early English style with grouped lancet windows. The eastern part of the churchyard dates from before the pit village and has a low battered boundary wall, a number of trees and some quality monuments.
Gateshead Council, 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Marley Hill Conservation Area, p 36; Jean Mackie, 1993 and Janice and Martin Garfoot, 2005, Marley Hill Church, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/hillside.html