Tyne and Wear HER(12034): Marley Hill, Church Street and Cuthbert Street - Details
Marley Hill, Church Street and Cuthbert Street
The construction of terraces were started by Marley Hill Colliery in 1900. These four rows of terraces form the core of Marley Hill. The terraces are of red industrial brick with Welsh slate roofs. They have sandstone cills and lintels and chimney stacks in paler colliery brick. The houses on the north side of Church Street and in Cuthbert Street are plain and front onto the pavement. Window frames and doors have been replaced. The houses back onto rear lanes with back yards. The houses on the south side of Church Street are slightly larger with small front gardens with low brick walls and cast iron railings. The detailing on the front elevations, with stone jambs to doors and windows is a little grander.
Gateshead Council, 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Marley Hill Conservation Area, p 36