Tyne and Wear HER(12066): Blaydon Bank Conservation Area - Details
Blaydon Bank Conservation Area
Designated on 16th May 1975. The Conservation Area is centred on a dramatic townscape of stone and slate terraces between Blaydon Bank and Shibdon Dene in the late C19 and C20. It also includes what remains of the old town's commercial and instutional buildings. Most of the CA is located on a steep hill, the terraces built parallel to the slope. There are spectacular views over the River Tyne. During the C19 Blaydon rapidly developed from a shipping point on the river into an industrial area with coal mining, coke and iron smelting and founding. During the lare C19 and early C20 Blaydon expanded onto the hill to the south between Shibdon Dene and Blaydon Bank. The area was laid out by T.C. Nicholson from 1883. The development north of Shibdon Road, including St. Cuthbert's Church (HER 6019) is earlier (1844).
Gateshead Council, 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Blaydon Bank Conservation Area, pp. 12-14