Tyne and Wear HER(12091): St. Mary's Island, degaussing station - Details
St. Mary's Island, degaussing station
St. Mary's Island
The bird hide beside the lighthouse was originally a degaussing station. Built in 1959 the station would demagnetise ships with an encircling current-carrying conductor to protect them from mines laid during the war.
North Tyneside Council, Environment, Regeneration & Housing Directorate, 2005, St. Mary's Island Draft Conservation Area Character Statement