Tyne and Wear HER(12094): North Shields, Borough Road, Church of St. Peter - Details
North Shields, Borough Road, Church of St. Peter
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
Built in 1863 (seats for 650) and was widely known as the 'sailor's church'. It was consecrated by the Bishop of Durham in 1864. The church was demolished in the slum clearance of the 1930s and replaced by a factory (possibly T. Bonham's electrical engineering company). There is a high red brick and sandstone wall on the site that may be part of the church. During an archaeological watching brief in 2007 a number of stone walls of the church and a section ofblack and white floor mosaic were found at a depth of 1.25m below present ground level. An arch indicated that the church had vaulted cellars.
FISHcast, sub-group of FISH (Folk Interested in Shields Harbour), 2007, North Shields - The New Quay and The Fish Quay Conservation Areas - FISHcast Community Character Statement; Tyne and Wear Museums, 2006, Land Adjacent to Borough Road, North Shields - Archaeological and Cultural Heritage Assessment; Tyne and Wear Museums, 2007, Junction of Borough Road and Clive Street, North Shields - Archaeological Photographic Recording and Watching Brief; D. Legg, 1999, Parish Church of St. Peter, Low Town Tynemouth, North Shields in the County of Northumberland, Baptisms Vol. 1, 1961-1875