Tyne and Wear HER(12103): North Shields, Clive Street, Shepherds Quay (Bay Horse Quay) - Details
North Shields, Clive Street, Shepherds Quay (Bay Horse Quay)
Shown on Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1898. The quayside wall was constructed between 1772 and 1826. The land-retaining wall marks the extent of North Shield’s medieval town and is located within the Fish Quay conservation Area. The wall is comprised of 14 courses of sandstone ashlar blocks covered in concrete render and reinforced steel mesh. The upper 3 courses of wall are probably a later c.19th century height extension or repair. In the 20th century concrete coping, timber joist, concrete deck, two drains, timber mooring posts and a possible ramp were added.
Ordnance Survey second edition map 1898; Pre-Construct Archaeology, 2019, River Wall at 26-37 Clive Street, North Shields, Tyne and Wear: Archaeological Building Recording